About twice a month, I sing on the worship team at my church. Our church has two services, one at 9:00 and one at 10:30, so on these Sundays I get to church at 8:00 (to practice with the group before the first service) and then I’m there at church until about noon.

Despite the fact that I have to be at school by 8:00 every weekday, and I am usually early, I cannot seem to be at church at 8:00. It’s like my brain doesn’t believe I should have to be there that early–so even when I leave myself plenty of time to get ready, I always seem to find myself just leaving the house at 8:00. It’s terrible, especially since I hate being late.

This last week at worship practice, the woman who is leading this week said, “Let’s all be there at 8:00 on the dot so we’ll have a chance to run through everything before people start showing up.” I mentally vowed to myself that I would indeed be there at 8:00 on the dot, not just leaving my house.

Fast forward to this morning. I got up and showered in plenty of time, then headed to the kitchen to get breakfast. I talked on the phone with my mom for a few minutes while emptying the dishwasher, then decided to make oatmeal–a quick and easy breakfast. I usually use quick oats, which work great in the microwave. You use 1 part oatmeal to 2 parts water (I usually to 1/3 c. oatmeal and 2/3 c. water) and microwave it for 1 minute. Then I mix in whatever I have around that seems interesting to make it taste good–craisins, chopped apples & cinnamon, yogurt, brown sugar, bananas. This week I’ve been using leftover cranberry sauce, which is excellent.
However, last week I bought some regular, old-fashioned oats to use for baking. On the side of the package, it has stovetop and microwave directions. The microwave directions are basically the same as for quick oats, but you have to cook them longer–2 1/2 to 3 minutes. I decided to try the regular oats, so I measured out the oats and water and put them in the microwave for 2:45.

To my dismay, I opened the microwave to find they had boiled over. The splatter shield kept the mess contained, but the bowl and the glass tray in the microwave both had a lovely layer of soggy oatmeal. (By the way, when I was younger I hated oatmeal because I thought it looked like barf. I still kind of think that, but I try not to dwell on that thought when I am eating it. Hope you enjoyed your gross fact of the day.)

Disappointed but undaunted (and hungry for breakfast!), I decided to try again. I cleaned off the glass tray for the microwave, got out a new bowl, and this time used only 1/4 c. of oats and 1/2 c. water, and I set the microwave for only 2 minutes.

Same result. The clock was slowly ticking towards 8:00, and I still had a mug of tea to drink and two bowls half-filled with oatmeal and sticky with the overflow. I scraped all the oatmeal I could salvage into one bowl which I tried to clean off. Finally I gave it up as futile and stuck my bowl inside a clean one so I could at least eat it without getting my hands messy.  I’m not good at eating quickly (I like to enjoy my food), but a tried not to dawdle too much. I ended up guzzling down the last half of my mug of tea when I looked at the clock–here I was, no shoes on, no teeth brushed, not ready, and it was already 8:00.

I slunk into church at 8:10, feeling guilty yet again. Some day, I swore to myself. Some day I will make it here on time.